Q: I have an 08 dodge charger 2.7l. I changed my water pump, reset my timing chain (used timing marks) but now engine won't start. Th

asked by on February 15, 2018

08 dodge charger 2.7l, I just changed my water pump. Had to remove timing belt etc.... I got new water pump in, reset timing marks on cams and on oil pump gear. Got it all together and it won't start. The pulleys and belts spin but car won't start. There is a flashing service engine light but the code reader I renter from AutoZone doesn't find the code (maybe from battery being off and reseting computer?). Any ideas on where I went wrong?

If the check engine light is on, codes were stored. As an initial step, those codes should be read as they may have essential clues to what is going on. To have the codes read, and the no start resolved, the recommended service is a Check Engine Light diagnostic. Of course, check to be sure that the timing belt is on correctly. The 2.7L motor is an interference type which means that if the timing belt is sufficiently off (out of synch more than a couple teeth), the valves and pistons will be damaged. If the timing belt, and marks, are exactly where they are supposed to be, check to be sure that any electrical connections that were removed during the work are properly restored. If none of those steps resolve the issue, a certified mechanic will promptly resolve this at your location if you request the Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.