Q: Key button locks the car but doesn’t arm the car

Recently I decided to get a 2nd key from the dealer. The lock button will lock the car, but it does not arm the car. There are also no warning lights when I press the lock button. There is no beeping and the exterior lights don't flash on. I checked the related alarm fuses and they seem fine. A second problem is when I press the Unlock button on the key the driver’s door doesn't open, but I do hear it ‘trying’ to open - but it just won’t. Pressing twice, the passenger side opens fine. What do I need to do to get this fixed?

There are a few potential answers to this question. If the original key still arms the vehicle and unlocks the car, then the fault most likely lies with the second key. If both keys do not function, then the most likely causes would be the driver’s door lock actuator or a problem with the security module. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose this fault and perform any repairs required.