Q: I accidently hit the bottom of my car and now when I start it up the idle is at 4k. The gears shift horribly...what needs to be do

asked by on December 01, 2017

Last night I got pulled over and the cop told me to get off the road so I drove into a parking lot I with I would of see what was in front of me before but I ran something over it hit pretty hard so I backed up a little turned off the car now every time I go to start it up it revs to 6k once 7k RPM then drops down to and idles at 4kk oh yeah and when I shift from P to R it jerks pretty hard then R to D something happens is it safe for me to drive it like that to a mechanics shop if I have to

Unless the faulty operation, that is the high idle, is a coincidence, something on the vehicle was damaged when you ran over the obstacle. That something will be identified during an inspection. As far as your question about whether it is safe to drive to a repair facility, actually if you request a diagnostic, and thence repair as needed, from YourMechanic, the certified mechanic will come right to your location and resolve everything. So, you need not travel anywhere. If you want to elect that mobile option, the recommended service to request, given the issue you are writing in about, is an engine idle speed diagnostic - high idle. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.