Q: I have a very loud knocking sound from the front driver side of my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

asked by on February 13, 2018

I have a very loud knocking sound on the driver side of my Jeep. When I start to drive it's a loud slow knock and the more I accelerate the louder and faster it gets, but it's only when I start to accelerate is when it starts knocking. I usually slow down almost to a stop when I turn but it doesn't make a knocking sound when I turn either direction just only when I proceed to drive forward and put my foot on the gas pedal. It doesn't knock when I'm in reverse. My Jeep has 4WD but I haven't used it.

Hi Taylor. Thanks for contacting us tonight. A loud knocking sound coming from your front wheels can be caused by wheel bearings or inner transaxle components. If the noise does not come on during reverse, then it’s likely a forward gear or axle issue. Since there are so many possible sources, the best advice I can offer is to have a professional mechanic complete an on-site inspection, so they can determine what repairs are needed.