Q: I have a scraping noise coming from the back right tire.

I have a scraping noise coming from my back right tire. Brakes are brand new. The scraping is constant but it seems like something is warped as it is like a once a rotation scrape. (So not a wheel bearing right?) Constant though when braking. I thought a brake change would fix it as they were worn but the same noise is coming even after. Im not the best at diagnosing these things. Any suggestions would help. As I dont want to bring it in and spend a bunch of money.

Loud noise is coming from rear brakes Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the pads and rotors are in good condition, a couple of other things can be the cause. First thing to check would be the splash shield behind the brake rotor. While not an everyday occurrence, sometimes road debris like a rock can get caught up in it and either be the cause of the noise, or slightly bend the shield that it makes intermittent contact with the brake rotor. Another possibility would be the parking brake mechanism. Although equipped with rear disc brakes, you have a separate drum-type parking brake mechanism that sits inside the rotor hub. It has it’s own separate brake shoes. If the parking brake cables are frozen or out of adjustment, you can get a slight drag from the parking brake shoes that can give you a scraping noise. If neither of these remedy the noise, have a certified technician inspect the rear brakes to find the exact cause.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr