Q: I have a 74 distributor with 3 wires can it go on my 79

The 79 distributor is electronic ignition with 3 wires. Where do those 3 wires go to if it is installed in a 72 car where the distributor only had 1 wire

Hello, thank you for asking about your 1974 Pontiac Ventura.

From what you describe it appears to me that you are attempting to convert a points ignition system to an electronic HEI ignition system. This is a very common conversion amongst classic GM vehicles. My research indicates that very minimal wiring modification is required. The connector has three wires: the violet and brown wire, which go to the HEI module, and a black wire that will go to ground. The HEI distributor should come with specific instructions that explain the process. If they did not, the exact diagrams can easily be found online for free.

Regards,

Eduardo YourMechanic