Q: I have a 2013 highlander.? I only put oil about 50 to 100 miles a month. My question is how often should I do the maintenance?

How often should I do the oil change?

A: I personally recommend changing your oil on...

I personally recommend changing your oil once a year at the very minimum. Even if that oil only has 1000 miles on it, I would suggest changing it once a year. It sounds like you do mostly short drives, and this leads to having excess moisture in the oil, which can damage engine components over time.

It would also be very beneficial in the long term for you to drive your car more. Vehicles don’t actually do well being driven so little. It seems like a good thing to drive so infrequently, but it’s actually quite hard on the seals and gaskets of your car. You should take it out every couple of weeks or at least once a month and drive for an hour or so. This will help to make sure all the systems are working, and will lubricate all the seals to ensure they don’t dry out and start cracking.

You should also be careful to stay on track with the rest of the scheduled maintenance for your vehicle, paying special attention to time based changes, such as brake fluid, which should be done every 2 to 3 years regardless of mileage.