Q: I have a 2012 cc with a p0016 code no start. chain is tight and all turns freely when turned by hand

I have spun to tdc. also chain is tight and functioning normally as far as I can tell. I have had no issues just one day drove a few miles and then no start after that pulled this code and need some advice.

Code P0016 broadly means that the PCM has detected that the Crankshaft and Camshaft are out of sync. If they are out of sync beyond a specific, threshold number of degrees, the car simply won’t start. The cause of that is quite varied though. On vehicles with variable valve timing, it’s possible that hydraulically actuated devices that control cam position can fail due to inadequate oil or the wrong viscosity oil. That can cause the code to set. In your case, however, you have a no start condition, so assuming the timing chain has not slipped (you should still check that carefully, especially if gear teeth have broken), I would suspect one of these possibilities: tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken; tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken; bad crank sensor; bad cam sensor; and/or damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor. The diagnostics require, among other things, a scope to look at the output signal of the cam/crank position sensors so I would recommend you request a no start diagnostic and the responding mechanic will get the root cause identified and then estimate the repair.

3. I have a 2012 cc with a p0016 code no start. chain is tight and all turns freely when turned by hand