Q: I have a 2011 Ford escape. In traffic, it lost power and shuddered. The check engine light came on. I pulled over and restarted it

The low fuel light came on while I was in traffic. I was going about 5-10 miles per hour. I tried to accelerate, but the car just shook and had no power. the check engine light came on. I was able to pull over. I restarted, but the check engine light was no longer on. I took it to auto zone, but there was no error message, because the check engine light wasn't on. What do I do now? How can you diagnose the problem with no error code?

If the engine died before you pulled over, this could explain the check engine light because the check engine light is always on if the key is turned and engine is off. You most likely just ran out of gas. However, there could have been more than just a check engine light. There should also have been a low oil pressure light, and a red battery light at least. If the engine was still running when you pulled over, there may be a larger issue. If a larger issue exists, I would recommend waiting until the symptoms become more consistant or at least until they reoccur as it would be difficult to diagnose if it was not acting up during the inspection.

• I have a 2011 Ford escape. In traffic, it lost power and shuddered. The check engine light came on. I pulled over and restarted it