Q: I have a 2009 Jetta Sportswagen TDI that shakes bad between 40 and 50 and tires and wheels are okay.

Had tires and wheels replaced and balanced. Steering wheel doesn't shake but car shakes when accelerating only. Really bad around 40 - 50 mph.

Hi Kris. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Vibrations like you’ve described can be very confusing to diagnose. Even tire "experts" occasionally get this one wrong (as they assume that if the tire balance is good - it shouldn’t be the tire). However, I’ve seen this issue before where the tire and wheel balance fine, but the tire is beginning to separate internally, which can cause a rather aggressive vibration to occur between 40 to 50 mph. It is also possible that a wheel bearing, CV joint or stabilizer bar bushing is the source of your vibration. If the tires are brand new (like less than 2,000 miles) I would start by inspecting the parts mentioned, plus look at strut mounts as well. If the tires are older - try rotating the tires from front to back and see if the vibration goes away. If it does, the tire needs to be replaced.

3. I have a 2009 Jetta Sportswagen TDI that shakes bad between 40 and 50 and tires and wheels are okay.