I have a 2006 chevy hhr 2.4l. it started a rough idal aft...

Q: I have a 2006 chevy hhr 2.4l. it started a rough idal after gasing up and it smells of raw gas through vents ,water out tailpipe

asked by on October 07, 2017

My car started a rough idal after gasing up. Smells of raw gas through air vents and has water coming out of tailpipe. No smoke coming out of tailpipe oil appears OK and antifreeze...not sure if this would be a leak in the head gasket...where should I start ?

Hi Kelly. Thanks for contacting us today. If these symptoms began after filling up the fuel tank, it’s quite possible that an EVAP system component is malfunctioning. The EVAP system is designed to remove harmful gas vapors from the fuel cell. When the EVAP solenoid, vent solenoid or the canisters are not working correctly (or full in the case of the EVAP canister), it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. A damaged vacuum line can also exhibit these symptoms - as can a cracked exhaust manifold. Since there are multiple components that make up this system, it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete an onsite inspection to determine what is causing these problems, so the right repairs can be completed.