Q: Metal shavings on variable timing solenoid

I was getting error code p0014. Determined it was the Variable valve timing solenoid needed replaced. When replaced the old part had small metal shaving on it. Was told it wasn't a good sign since this deals with the engine.

A: Hi there. Finding metal shavings on the tip...

Hi there. Finding metal shavings on the tip of your VVT solenoid is indeed not a good thing. The reason why it’s not a good indicator is that the VVT solenoid is usually attached next to the cam shaft. However, the metal shavings could be coming from cylinder head hardware, valves, valve guides or other issues.

A good starting point is to have your oil and filter changed; then have the filter opened to look for excessive metal shavings. If there are metal shavings inside the filter, inspect the timing chain, as this might be the source of the shavings.