Q: Is it possible to fix a clogged catalytic converter without replacing it?

I've got a misfire on the sixth cylinder. One mechanic told us it was an ECM failure. We've replaced that and the new code is P0306 and P2241. We're going to replace the O2 sensor, but we've also thought it could be a clogged catalytic converter. How do we test the if the converter is clogged and is it possible to clean without replacing it?

Hi there. In general, there is not an effective way to clean a clogged catalytic converter. There are several aftermarket products that claim to do so, but they typically cause more issues with fuel system components that I would never recommend them to be used. You should read this article on ways to diagnose a bad catalytic converter as a reference. It might be a good idea to read these two articles on the OBD-II trouble codes, the P-0306 trouble code and the P-2241 OBD-II code so you can see the multiple possible source of these codes.

3. Is it possible to fix a clogged catalytic converter without replacing it?