Q: The check engine light always seems to come on when my gas tank is half full. 1998 Honda Accord

My mechanic checked out my car when my gas talk was half full. He cleaned everything and the light went out. When my gas tank became half full, the check engine came on again. I took it to the dealer this time, and he said it could be the timing belt......but seemed unsure. Have you heard of this before?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - the first task here is to capture the problem codes turning on the Check Engine light. Most auto parts stores will do this for free - on a time-available basis. It is probably worth checking for problem codes before the Check Engine light comes on as well - transient codes won’t set the CEL, but still indicate a pending problem. Having specific guidance from the engine computer will be very helpful. It seems unlikely that a timing or timing belt issue would cause an intermittent issue like this. I recommend a Check Engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.