Q: Bottome of vehicle makes a helicopter sound when driving at slow speeds

When I am driving around 10-20 mph, the vehicle sounds like it is a helicopter. The noise comes from under the vehicle, and at first we thought there was something stuck in a tire. Upon review, we found nothing in the tire, and still had some kind of chopper sound coming from under the vehicle while we drive at low speeds. Any ideas on what it could be?

A: The sound you are hearing is related to the...

The sound you are hearing is related to the tires moving from what it sounds. The first thing to inspect is proper tire inflation. Tires make strange noises when they are low or damaged.

Second needs to be the brakes. A bad brake, warped caliper or rotor, or issues with the parking brake can all cause noises related to the tires rotating. Look for a dragging or damaged brake pad or shoe, and inspect all hardware. Make sure your parking brake is functioning correctly.

If the brakes are working properly, you should look at the wheel bearings next. You will need to lift the vehicle in order to perform those tests. Having the vehicle up on a lift might help significantly. This is the only way to do a proper visual inspection, and is the best way to test wheel bearings.

If you decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the sound firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs to your car.