Q: 2003 Nissan Frontier manual - engaging reverse stalls engine

When I put my truck on reverse it won't move and shuts the engine down. It works great in all forward gears. What could possibly cause this?

Hello - this problem sounds as though your shift linkage is engaging BOTH reverse and a forward gear at the same time - effectively locking up the transmission. This would explain why the engine stalls when this occurs, but works fine in forward gears. Shifter linkage not working properly is a fairly rare problem, at least in this form. I would recommend having your transmission linkage inspected to determine the cause of this problem. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs