Q: Transfer case

I have a 2001 ram 1500, 5.9 magnum. The problem is that I have blown 3 transfer cases in the last 2 years. My mechanic is at a loss. He checked the drive shafts which he says looks fine. The rear appears to be the original. This last time he replaced one of the universal joints that he said was no good but doesn't know if that was the problem. Is this a common occurrence with these trucks or is there a larger problem on my hands?

Hello and thanks for writing in. As you may know, there are a number of things that can cause a transfer case to fail, such as failing U-joints, a bad transfer case output shaft seal (resulting in trans fluid leaking and damaging drive shaft components), or an out of balance drive shaft. A bad U-joint can also cause an otherwise properly working drive shaft to rotate out of balance resulting in damaging the transfer case. If you hear any squeaking sounds coming from underneath the truck, this may also suggest the U-joints are down to metal, which will eventually result in them seizing up. As you know, when this happens this can cause major damage and should be looked at immediately. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your truck.

3. Transfer case