Q: I have a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon. I can't get it started. It has gas, new starter and lights come on when I try to start it so it's n

I just bought this car not even a week ago and I have only had problems with the power steering up until today when I tried to start it. It sounds like it wants to turn over but it won't.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Battery Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1141.96 Get a Quote

If the starter motor is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel or air induction fault in the engine that will have to be repaired. To diagnose and identify that fault, the service to request is a no start diagnostic. On the other hand, if the starter is functioning poorly, that is the starter sounds like it just barely turns the engine over, that is mostly likely an electrical problem (it can be a starter problem but you have indicated that the starter is new) including the possibility of a weak (old) battery. If yours is the latter circumstance, that is the starter sounds weak, the battery is load tested. If the battery passes a load test be sure it is NOT a marginal pass in which case you should install a new battery to reduce diagnostic headaches. Batteries are a VERY important component in a car’s electrical system. Once it is confirmed that the battery is fully functioning and fully charged, if the starting system still does not function properly, there are actually only a relatively limited number of causes. Broadly, either the starter motor/solenoid assembly is faulty or the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. Basically, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. If the starter motor is getting power but it doesn’t work, the starter is condemned and replaced. Alternatively, if there is no power to the starter or there is a big voltage drop to the starter, then the circuit is traced until the fault in the circuit is found. Notably, faults can include high resistances, due to corrosion, wire strand breaks, or loose terminals, which can only be diagnosed using a voltage drop test. Regardless of what the underlying cause of the no start condition is, if you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this promptly, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding mechanic will get it diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.