Q: I had to,replace 3 shifters because it will not release the key. , but why?

Key problem

Hello, thank you for writing in. The key becomes locked into the ignition and it will stay there until the computers registers that the vehicle is in park. This is a safety feature so you will not leave the vehicle in gear or in neutral. All automatic transmissions are designed this way. The wiring on these sensors can become disconnected or break. The micro-switch that is engaged when the vehicle is in park may not be registering with the computer. The issue can be related to the shift linkage, the switch, or the shifter. Without doing an inspection on the actual issue, it is hard to tell what the cause may be, and why you would have had to replace the shifter three times. It may be a false diagnosis or a reoccurring issue with those parts from Chevy. There are many of these complaints about the system on similar vehicles. Talk to your technician and find out more about what they have been doing and what they think the issue is. If you are concerned, get a second opinion.

• I had to,replace 3 shifters because it will not release the key. , but why?