Q: Performance issues and check engine light

The minute I got on the highway, I didn't even reach 60 miles an hour and the engine started to buck badly. I just had all the ignition coils replaced and they told me that the spark plugs were all good, because I just replaced them before the one coil went bad. Did they not replace the wires to them? Should they have? The engine light has remained on the whole time. How can I find out what they did or didn't do? I don't trust the mechanic that did the work.

Hello. If the check engine light has remained even after the vehicle was serviced then either the issue is still present or another one has developed. Retrieving the trouble codes will likely reveal some insight on what the issue may be. If you have any doubts about the work you may be able to request the old parts, to verify that they were indeed replaced. If too much time has passed, however, the parts may no longer be available if they were thrown away. Aside from ignition problems, similar symptoms can also be caused by faults with the fuel and engine management systems. If one of the major components to either of these systems, such as the fuel pump or crank position sensor fail or have an issue they can produce similar symptoms, misfires and an illuminated check engine light. If one of the If the previous technician was unable to repair the work then I would recommend having a different technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to diagnose what is setting off the check engine light and causing your performance issues.

3. Performance issues and check engine light