Q: Hi Michael. I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The parking brake will not engage. When I pull it up it falls back down. It is rarely

Hi Michael. I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The parking brake will not engage. When I pull it up it falls back down. It is rarely used.

The pawl in the parking brake lever assembly may have gotten out of position and so the pawl doesn’t stay engaged with the teeth on the handle lever. A close inspection will reveal a fault like that. As far as what may have caused that, the adjustment of the parking brakes should be checked as if they are out of adjustment (too loose) that can be a cause of the problem. It may be that the pawl has to be put back in place and the whole parking brake assembly should be adjusted at the same time. Regardless of the cause, if you request a parking brake system inspection/repair the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi Michael. I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The parking brake will not engage. When I pull it up it falls back down. It is rarely