Q: I had a catalytic converter installed in my vehicle in 2013, now I'm being told I need a new one. How long is it suppose to last?

I had a new catalytic converter installed in 2013 on my 2005 Toyota sienna van in the vehicle had 180,000 miles at a time. Now my vehicle has 245,000 miles and I am being told that I need a new catalytic converter. how long are they supposed to last?

A: Hello. Most vehicles do not have to have th...

Hello. Most vehicles do not have to have the catalytic converter replaced unless it becomes damaged due to road debris or it overheating severely. With that said, it is possible your car may be running a bit too rich (too much fuel in the air/fuel mixture), which can cause the catalytic converter to overheat.

When this happens it can become clogged or filter excess gases poorly, which will cause the vehicle to run very poorly as a result (think of a sink being backed up), not allowing it to flush out toxic gases which become backed up inside the vehicle's exhaust system. If you not experiencing any drivability concerns, I would ask the person why they suggested having it replaced. If you would like to have the car checked for a second opinion, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to give the vehicle a complete inspection.