Q: I got my idle control valve and throttle position replaced a couple days ago, but now my car stalls.

I got my 2003 Ford Focus idle control valve and throttle position replaced a couple days ago. Now when the engine is on and I put it in park it shuts off leaving only the radio on once in a while not all the time. What could it mean? Is it bad?

Hello. It is possible that the part is defective, but most of the time this is because the computer has to relearn the new idle control valve. Sometimes, this can take a little while before it works correctly. It is also important to make sure that the throttle body is clean when the idle control valve is replaced, as a dirty throttle body can also cause this.

I will usually clean that first and then proceed to checking the idle control valve to see if it is defective. If you want to have this idling problem checked out, consider having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is idling improperly.

• I got my idle control valve and throttle position replaced a couple days ago, but now my car stalls.