Q: I got a Patrol vehicle, Chevrolet Impala that calls for 5w30 motor oil. Can I use 5w20 if necessary?

Our normal means of getting oil is currently closed. The vehicle calls for 5w30. I happen to have an extra 5w20 quart of motor oil from my personal vehicle. Can I use it on this impala to avoid running low on oil?

Hi there. If you’re in dire straits to find the right type of oil, using a small amount of 5 w 20 should not hurt your vehicle; especially during colder times during the year. The 5 is the low end of the viscosity rating, while the 30 or 20 is the high end. During hot weather conditions, the thicker oil is critical for keeping the engine components properly lubricated. However, this should not be a normal thing you do; so have your oil changed as soon as possible to avoid potential issues.

3. I got a Patrol vehicle, Chevrolet Impala that calls for 5w30 motor oil. Can I use 5w20 if necessary?