Q: Engine light flashing intermittently

My check engine light is flashing intermittently. The car shakes when idoling and the revs look really high. There seems to be a loss in power. It only happens when the car gets too hot or when it is going up hill. I'm not sure what this means, can you give me some possible diagnoses?

This may be related to a faulty or dirty mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and replace this sensor.

3. Engine light flashing intermittently