Q: The Check Engine light blinks and the car stalls. Is this my catalytic converter?

The engine light blinks. It's cuts off when I come to a complete stop. The engine rpm are not the same as the mph.

A: This may be related to many different thing...

This may be related to many different things such as a bad oxygen sensor (this monitors the activity of the catalytic converter), a bad or dirty idle air control valve, or potentially low fuel pressure. The low fuel pressure will generally cause a lean fuel condition causing the engine to starve for fuel resulting in it stalling.

The oxygen sensor reads the exhaust gas content and relays this info to the computer which then makes fueling adjustments based upon this. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel and relays this to the computer which then makes adjustments to fueling. When this is not working properly, this may cause the car to struggle to idle properly or even stall.

I would recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and diagnose and repair your idle air control valve if needed.