Q: I got a engine rebuild do I need a mechanic

I bought a engine rebuild for my car I'm going to rebuild the engine but do I still need to have parts machined and filed and all that good stuff from a pro?

The block has to be evaluated before you buy the rebuild kit because you may need oversize pistons and rings not to mention crankshaft bearings. The cylinders have to be measured for taper, out of round and so forth and possibly bored, and then honed. That process determines what size kit you will need because pistons come in different sizes depending on much oversize the cylinders have to be bored. If you are rebuilding an engine, you will need a machine shop to evaluate, measure, and clean the head(s), block, crankshaft and so forth unless you intend to measure all these parts yourself.

3. I got a engine rebuild do I need a mechanic