Q: I can hear a clunking/knocking sound when the car goes straight and turn left. When I turn right it stops.

asked by on November 01, 2017

My car started making the loud clunking.knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from the right drivers side wheel. It happens when I drive straight and when I turn left and stops when I turn right. Please help.

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $201.91 - $1059.58 Get a Quote

Right off the top of my head, I’d say you have a Constant Velocity (CV) joint going bad. The CV joint is the part that allows power to be transmitted through the front axle shafts even when they are steering. Replacing one or both axle shafts should do the trick. It’s not a terribly expensive or complicated repair, but don’t put it off. If the joint fails completely you will be stranded. You can contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office and replace your knocking CV shaft right there on the spot.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr