Q: 2012 BMW 650i Malfunction displays, car shakes, loses power, can't accelerate, shuts down

asked by on August 17, 2016

I have a very dangerous condition with my car. While driving, the dashboard and the displays show all major malfunctions. Then my car starts shaking and slows down. After that, I am unable to accelerate above 20-30 mph. After only about one minute, my car shuts down. The steering is seriously difficult after it shuts down because the battery is totally dead. It won’t even take a boost. This is Very frightening to have my car power down, especially on the interstate or a highway with huge tractor trailers and 18-wheelers beside or behind my car. Trying to get to the side of the road in a powerless car is totally and almost impossible! I certainly won’t take my family in this car. Please tell me what is causing these problems and how it can be fixed. Thank you.

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2013 BMW 650i. Your battery receives a charge voltage from the alternator while driving. The alternator is responsible for maintaining the charge on a battery during vehicle operation. Very low power can cause the components to shut down and illuminate warning lights before the battery eventually dies. To have this checked, I recommend having a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s loss of power in order to make the correct repairs.