Q: 2012 BMW 650i Malfunction displays, car shakes, loses power, can't accelerate, shuts down

I have a very dangerous condition with my car. While driving, the dashboard and the displays show all major malfunctions. Then my car starts shaking and slows down. After that, I am unable to accelerate above 20-30 mph. After only about one minute, my car shuts down. The steering is seriously difficult after it shuts down because the battery is totally dead. It won’t even take a boost. This is Very frightening to have my car power down, especially on the interstate or a highway with huge tractor trailers and 18-wheelers beside or behind my car. Trying to get to the side of the road in a powerless car is totally and almost impossible! I certainly won’t take my family in this car. Please tell me what is causing these problems and how it can be fixed. Thank you.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2013 BMW 650i. Your battery receives a charge voltage from the alternator while driving. The alternator is responsible for maintaining the charge on a battery during vehicle operation. Very low power can cause the components to shut down and illuminate warning lights before the battery eventually dies. To have this checked, I recommend having a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s loss of power in order to make the correct repairs.