Q: I bought two new tires and rims to put on my car and I want to know if I can make them fit.

I just bought new rims and tires for my car they are size 225/45 zr17 and the tires size is supposed to be 205/55 r16. The rims fit over the tire threads but I don't know what size lug nut to get I can't fit a socket in the rims for a retailer 19mm or 3/4 I want to know if they make a lug nut that will fit in the rims like maybe a 9/16 lug nut but will still fit over the threads?

Hi there. Anytime you purchase new tires and wheels that are not OEM options (which this 225/45zr17 is not), you risk creating multiple issues that will impact the vehicles performance such as ABS operation, speedometer, cruise control, and braking.

The standard rule used to be, for every inch in wheel size, you need to decrease aspect ratio (the 55 number) by one (making it a 50-series tire). Width would also increase by one size (to 215 from 205). By having a wider tire on there than is recommended, you also risk having turning radius issues and braking suspension components.

Due to these facts, I wouldn’t recommend putting those wheel and tires on your vehicle. If you were to install them, you’d need to purchase new lug nuts that are snug for that individual bolt pattern. Since we can’t see them; it’s impossible to tell you for certain if the ones you have will work.

If you’d like to know for sure, consider having one of our mobile technicians come to your home to inspect your car and suggest what to do from there.

3. I bought two new tires and rims to put on my car and I want to know if I can make them fit.