Q: My power sliding door on my 1996 Pontiac Transport moves really slow makes a whining noise and does not latch all the way shut.

asked by on March 17, 2017

My 1996 Pontiac Transport sliding power door moves very slowly makes a weird whining noise and does not latch all the way closed. I noticed rust on the door cables it there a way to clean and lube the door system?

Hi there. The sliding door has a track that the door rides in and allows the rollers on the door to move as the door motors operate. The track tends to get rust and buildup in it making the rollers hard to move putting a strain on the motors. You can clean the track with a lubrication that is not oil based and then put in a thin layer of spray grease to help lubricate the rollers. If you need further assistance with your side door operation, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.