Q: Serpentine belt broke off twice

The serpentine belt broke off for the second time. Smoke was coming out of the car when it died.

A: Hi. You have two belts, one controls the po...

Hi. You have two belts, one controls the power steering and AC, the other the alternator and water pump. The only thing that breaks a belt like you described is a seized or binding accessory. With the belts off, each component needs to be spun by hand to check for any roughness or binding. The AC compressor needs checked, the free spinning bearing, and the compressor for smooth rotation. An overly loose, or extremely tight belt will fail quickly. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, replace the serpentine belt and inspect for seized or failing components.