Q: Is there a way to turn off passenger side airbag?

asked by on March 08, 2017

I have a Lincoln MKZ with a recall on a defective airbag on the passenger side. I would like to deactivate it until the dealer can repair this. They have no idea when they'll get the parts. They refuse to do this for me. Wondering if there is some way that I can do this . I am very concerned about the safety.

The passenger air bag can be disabled by a switch. Check your glove box, should be a key-hole like switch. Set it to "off" and you’re done. Keep in mind that if an airbag is turned off and just because the manufacture is saying there is an airbag recall doesn’t mean that all vehicles have bad airbags. By setting your passenger airbag to the off position and you having a passenger in the front passenger seat and the vehicle gets into an accident, the passenger airbag will not go off. I recommend leaving it on until the parts are installed for safety reasons and just have the other passengers sit in the rear seats. If you need further assistance with your airbags, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.