Q: I bought 4 hankook tires in the size of 205/55/r16 to mount on my front wheels. How do I know if they will fit?

I bought four hankook ipike 205 55r 16 ipike snow tires mounted on steel wheels from kijiji. As a new driver with little knowledge on cars, I wasnt aware that the wheels may not fit my car. How would I know that these tires mounted on steel wheels fit my car?

A: Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic....

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. There are a couple ways to determine if the tires will fit on your vehicle. First look at the tires that are currently on the vehicle and see what the tire size is. If the tires size is the same, then yes the tires will work. If the tire size is different, then look at the first number and the last number. The first number determines how wide the tire is. The last number determines what size of rim the tires will mount to. Make sure that the last number is the same. The middle number is for the sidewall type and this determines how good the vehicle will handle and ride on roads in different road conditions. If you are not sure that the tires on the vehicle are the size that you need, then look at the door placard on the driver door or on the mounting area by the driver door on the cab and you will see the tire size required by manufacture. If that label is not present, then look in the owner's manual for the tire size. If you need further assistance with determining the correct tire size for your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Recommended services
Get a Quote