Q: I believe my alternator has gone bad, how much would it cost to fix or replace?

My Engine light is on; loose power and have to turn vehicle off, wait a minute or 2 to restart. Car runs maybe 20 feet and dies again. I recently replaced the battery.

Prior to replacing the alternator, it has to be tested to determine if the alternator has actually failed especially in your circumstance where the check engine light (CEL) is on which light could mean that another problem, other than the alternator, accounts for your car’s malfunction. If you request a check engine light diagnostic a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will pinpoint the reason why the CEL has come on. During the same visit, the mechanic will test charging system output and compare that against factory specifications to see what the status of your car’s charging system is. To have the alternator inspected and replaced, if need, please request an alternator inspection/replacement and the responding certified mechanic from YourMechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I believe my alternator has gone bad, how much would it cost to fix or replace?