Q: I am unable to pop the old ignition switch out like i saw on youtube. I am using my phillipshead screwdriver but it is of no use

asked by on August 12, 2017

I am unable to pop the old ignition switch out like i saw on the YouTube video. I am using my Phillips-head to try and punch it out. I have already purchase the new ignition switch set for my 96 Ford Ranger. The screwdriver has not worked out and I am very frustrated. I am trying to save money and not call a Lock Smith. I need to get my truck inspected or the Apartment management will tow it away. Why doesn't it pop out like I saw in the video, (he uses a punch tool): https://www.youtube.com/watch?PWGrv0hba08&t=66s

You will need to put key in and then turn to the on position. This is position just before you turn to start the truck and then you can push in the pin using a thin screw driver or punch and lightly tap it in using a small hammer. Then you should be able to slide out the old switch and slide in the new one and turn new key back to lock in place.