Q: How many hours should it take to replace a left rear axle on a 2007 freightliner, century series?

asked by on November 25, 2016

I had my left rear axle replaced on my 2007 freightliner, century, semi truck, my concern is that I was over charged on the labor hours, what would be a normal amount of time, there were no unusual problems that arose.

Hi there. Your question depends on whether the axle and flange gasket was replaced with an oil top off or the axle, flange gasket, wheel bearings, brakes, wheel seal, and gear oil was replaced. If the axle and flange gasket was replaced with an oil top off only, then the time is 1.75 hours, which is 1 hour and 45 minutes, unless the axle was broken in the tube and needed removed. If the axle, flange gasket, wheel bearings, brakes, wheel seal, and gear oil was replaced, then the time is 3.75 hours, which is 3 hours and 45 minutes, unless there was an issue with the axle being stuck in the axle housing or the s-cams needed new bushings. The time also depends on the shop that the vehicle was worked on at. Some shops will continue to bill out until the technician returns the ticket. Other shops pay there technicians by the hour, but charge the customer a flat rate and a flat time (example: 1.75 hours at $89 an hour - for a total charge of $155.75). Usually only diagnosing can be more costly if nothing was found.