Q: How do I replace the high-mount brake light?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I replace the high-mount brake light?

Your car has three brake lights – driver side, passenger side and the high-mount brake light, which is sometimes called a third brake light. While it’s not necessary to drive legally (unlike the other two brake lights), it does provide better visibility for drivers behind you. Replacing the bulb is important, and isn’t actually that difficult. Here’s how:

1. Open the trunk

2. Locate the high-mount brake light assembly

3. Turn the socket counterclockwise

4. Remove the socket

5. Take the old bulb out and install the new one

6. Make sure the bulb works

7. Replace the socket

Tips

If you drive a Civic with a 2.4-liter engine, the bulb is an LED. It should last for a very long time. If it’s not working, have the system professionally inspected.