Q: How do I properly use the lap belt on the middle seat?

How do I properly use the lap belt on the middle seat?

A: On some models of the vehicle, the center s...

On some models of the vehicle, the center seat on the front bench has a simple lap belt to secure the occupant in place. While this is less optimal than a 3-point seat belt, it still provides a significant advantage over no seat belt at all. Using it is simple, here’s how:

1. Pull the lap belt up and over yourself in order to buckle the belt. If there is not enough slack in the lap belt, it can be adjusted by pulling more belt through the belt while tilting the latch plate. If there is a lot of resistance, tilt the latch plate more.

2. Locate the buckle and insert the latch plate into the slot on top. If there is still slack in the belt, pull the loose end of the belt coming from the latch plate until the belt fits snugly, yet comfortably, across your hips.