Q: How do I program the universal remote system?

How do I program the universal remote system?

Located on the headliner between the driver and passenger, the universal remote is comprised of 3 buttons. These buttons are programmable so that you can program them to work with your garage door. For a rolling code style garage door opener, perform the following. Before programming these buttons, pull the truck up somewhere near the garage so that you can access both. Then, follow these steps:

1. The three buttons will be lined up horizontally. To begin programming, press the left and right buttons down at the same time. Release them after a few seconds.

2. The garage opening controls should have a button labeled “learn.” Press this button and immediately return the the controls in the truck.

3. Press the button that you want to control the door that is in “learn” mode to program it. Hold the button for about 30 seconds.

4. Immediately release the button when the garage doors begins to move.

5. Test that the button is programmed by pressing it to see if the garage door moves.

If the garage door opener is an older style that utilizes dip switches, then you will need the remote that opens the garage door or the control unit inside the garage. After that is done, and the truck is within reach, follow these steps:

1. Press all three buttons down for three seconds. The indicator lights by the switch will blink is this is successful in initiating the programming procedure.

2. Looking at the dip switches in the remote, there will be 8 switches in either the bottom, middle, or top position. In sequence from right to left, enter the position of the switches by pressing the first button for the up switches, the middle button for the middle switches, and the last button for the bottom switches.

3. Press and hold all three buttons until the indicator lights by the buttons all illuminate.

4. Choose a button out of the three to control that specific door. Hold that button down for one minute or until the door begins to move.

5. Release immediately. Press the button after it is set to ensure it works properly.

Tip

These buttons can only be used on garage doors with both stop and reverse settings. Garage doors newer than 1980 are usually compatible.

3. How do I program the universal remote system?