Q: How do I manually turn off the passenger airbags?

How do I manually turn off the passenger airbags?

A: Any child under 12 can be injured by an air...

Any child under 12 can be injured by an airbag going off due to their height or size. This includes infants in car seats. Because this truck may not come with rear seats, it may be necessary for someone under age 12 to sit in the front passenger seat. There is a round metal switch that is controlled by turning vehicle’s key while pressing down.

• When the key is horizontal in the switch, the passenger side airbag is active.

• When the key is vertical in the switch, then the passenger side airbag is inactive.

• The switch will be clearly labeled and both the ‘on’ and ‘off’ positions will be labeled accordingly.

• There will be a symbol resembling the silhouette of a person sitting in front of an inflated airbag above the switch.

Tips

• While rendering the airbag inactive may benefit the passenger if they are young or have a medical condition that could be exacerbated by airbags, it will make the seat less safe for someone who is over 12 years old and healthy.

• Infants or young children cannot use the front passenger seat if they have a rear-facing car seat.

• There is a slight chance a hard crash could set off the airbag no matter what, and a rear-facing car seat sits far too close to the passenger side airbag.

• If your vehicle does not have this switch in the glove compartment, then it has a sensor responsible for automatically turning the passenger side airbag on and off.