Q: Click in steering wheel while turning

I have an intermittent click in the steering wheel when turning. Sometimes though, it is definitely coming from behind the steering wheel, and not the engine. Sealing joints are good and power steering as well.

A: Realize that steering columns are a column,...

Realize that steering columns are a column, but they still need to flex. They are turning and they don't go straight to the steering box at angles. So they have universal joints, and a lot of times those universal joints start to wear a little bit, especially on modern cars and those that use a lot of plastic parts.

As long as it steers okay and doesn't have play, it isn't going to hurt anything. But if it starts to bind and has play, it's a really an expensive endeavor. I did this on a Toyota van last year and I had to buy the whole assembly with a joint on it. It ended up being a 1600 dollar job. So, if it still steers safely and goes okay I wouldn't worry too much.

If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can visit your home or office to inspect the clicking sound and recommend a repair.