Q: How do I change gears?

How do I change gears?

Once the engine is running, you have to shift gears to get the car on the road. Doing so is actually very simple, but you should know what the different gears are on your transmission and what they’re used for. Here’s a quick look:

• Park: Put your transmission in park when you’ll be stopping for more than a few minutes, or when you’re leaving the vehicle.

• Reverse: Use this for backing up.

• Neutral: This gear disengages the engine and transmission. The car will roll but you cannot accelerate.

• Drive: This is the primary drive gear.

4: If you have a four-speed transmission, you do not have this gear. If you have a five-speed transmission, this gear offers basic engine braking for driving on steep grades.

3: This position offers more powerful engine braking for driving on steep grades.

2: This position is used for stronger engine braking than 4 or 3.

L: This position offers the most engine braking possible. Only use this position for the steepest grades.