Q: How do I arm the vehicle security system?

How do I arm the vehicle security system?

A: Your vehicle security system provides an im...

Your vehicle security system provides an important layer of protection against theft. While it won’t prevent someone from breaking into or stealing your car, it does alert others around to the theft. Here’s how to arm it.

1. Close the windows (you can arm it with the windows open, but that defeats the purpose).

2. Make sure the doors are closed.

3. Close the trunk (and hood).

4. Lock all the doors using the remote, the door lock switch or the key.

5. Make sure the vehicle security light on the dash comes on (it should light up for about 30 seconds). This means that the system is pre-armed and will fully arm in another 30 seconds.