Q: How could a tire change result in a clutch slipping?

When the Kia Carens rolled into the garage to get the front 2 tyres changed, it was functioning well, revving around 2000-3000rpm when starting in first and changing gear.

Rolling out of the tyre change, it was revving around 4000rpm. In the 3 days since, every time I've tried to take the car out, it's been revving between 4,000 - 6000, ive burned almost half a tank of petrol on less than 20 miles, and a very distinctive smell is coming out the hood.

I can't see what the two incidents would have to do with eachother, except they happened simultaneously.

A: The tire replacement would not have anythin...

The tire replacement would not have anything to do do with the clutch slipping. You described the revving was around 2000 to 3000rpm. Even this rpm sounds high and the clutch was slipping before you went to get the tires chanced. The clutch disc as it wears will start to lose contact with the flywheel and pressure plate. Once the clutch disc wears bellow specification the pressure plate and flywheel will slip causing the rpm's to go too high when you try and get the vehicle to move. I recommend having the clutch assembly replaced.