Q: Bad gas mileage

asked by on June 23, 2016

My car has been running great and has no serious issue overall. However, I would like to improve its gas mileage because it now goes from 15 to 17 MPG. I am very dissatisfied with that. Do you have any advice what I can use to improve it?

Hi there. The fuel mileage is never great in this car, but this is rather low. Most of the time if it is running fine and has recently dropped off it is because or a dirty air filter or a dirty mass air flow meter. If the air filter is dirty I would replace it. If that does not help I usually clean out the throttle body. If that does not solve it then a scan tool will be needs to monitor the other sensors to see if any of them are reading incorrectly. You could also read some articles for tips on how to improve your mileage. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to see why your car is getting worse gas mileage.