Q: How can you check to see if one or more engine mounts are faulty? 2009 Honda Fit

asked by on March 10, 2017

Car randomly makes slight noise and movement (similar to a heartbeat) but only in idle. Started 2 days ago.

Hi there - to detect a failed motor/transmission mount, a technician may use a jack or large pry bar to attempt to lift or move the engine/transmission to determine loose motion - indicating a failed mount. Some motor mounts are hydraulic, and will leak fluid when they fail. Sometime, there is enough additional movement of the engine while it’s running to observe that a mount has failed. For assistance in determining if yours have failed, I recommend a engine/transmission mount inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.