Q: Is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee safe to drive?

When I drive my Dad's 1994 Jeep with over 200000 miles on it, it feels "light". Is it safe to drive? Do they have a history of flipping over? This Jeep may be our new car to drive soon. When I was driving under an overpass there was a wind gust and the car shook back and forth. Do you know of any cars in Rockford Illinois under $1000 that are good runners? Thank you

Hi there. Without performing an inspection, I could not determine if this vehicle is safe to drive. All SUV’s can flip over during an abrupt high speed turn. In fact, all of these types of vehicles today come with this warning on their visor, in the owner’s manual, or somewhere on the vehicle. This is just how it is, they’re not meant for high speed maneuvers.

A strong gust of wind can cause a vehicle to shake, but I get the feeling the shake you experienced was substantial. This leads me to believe that the shocks may be worn or a sway bar weak. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform a safety inspection to avoid safety concerns and alleviate apprehensions about the vehicle. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a safety inspection or a pre-purchase inspection for any vehicles you may consider purchasing.