Q: How can I remove the message "service the battery charging system?"

I recently had my engine rebuilt and i am now getting the message "service the battery charging system". I thought it was the battery, so i took it to autzone, were they told me it was no longer a good battery. I got the battery replace, however I am still getting the same message. I was reading on a forum that it could be that i need to update the vehicle software. My question is, could you tell if that is possible and if so where do i go or how do i go about doing that update? I also thought about resetting the computer (unplugging the battery, while the ignition switch is on, but don't know if that will help the issue. Could you please help me on this issue??

A: Hi there: If you’ve recently had major wor...

Hi there:

If you’ve recently had major work done to your Chevrolet Equinox, it’s always a good idea to have the ECU reprogrammed or updated so it can monitor those changes; especially if any aftermarket parts were used. However, the service message is typically not fixed by reprogramming the ECU. In most cases, it’s best to start by having a professional mobile mechanic complete a service light is on inspection, which will allow them to download and remove any error codes stored in the ECU. The resetting of the ECU is typically done by a dealership for security reasons.