Q: Horrible grinding issue around starter/flywheel

I just replaced the intake gasket/thermostat/radiator cap. Temperature problems solved. Now my truck makes a horrendous metallic grinding noise coming from the starter and fly wheel area. I pulled the starter and testing it by directly hooking it up to the battery. It seems to be working correctly. However, I do see scrape marks on the metal shield around the starter's teeth, but no damage to the actual teeth. What does this mean?

The starter nose bushing is worn and allowing the starter drive to go too far out causing the grinding noise. Replace the starter and make sure any shims that are required be reinstalled unless new starter directions state do not use them. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace your starter.

3. Horrible grinding issue around starter/flywheel